Saturday, May 29, 2010

Colors taste like fashion

(via google images)
Wayne Thiebaud is one of my favorite artists. I adore not only his subject matter, pop culture and commonplace objects, but also his exaggerated color palette and textured painting technique. Much of my use of color in the outfits I put together is inspired by the color palettes of Contemporary and Impressionist painters. I find that there is very little separation between fine art and fashion. The only visible difference is that one form is hung on the wall while the other is worn. Finding inspiration in art is no different than finding it within the pages of Italian Vogue. Of course I am not trying to imply that the looks I put together are somehow equivalent to the masterpieces produced by artists like Thiebaud. I am merely suggesting that there is a an artist in each of us and that inspiration can be drawn form an object as commonplace as a tube of lipstick or in this case a Wayne Thiebaud painting.